Star Trek Mug Starship Enterprise Graph
Mugs & Cups Star Trek
- High quality cup
- Officially licensed
- Capacity: 0.3 liters
- Material: Porcelain
The USS Enterprise (Constitution-class), with registration number NCC-1701, is James Tiberius Kirk’s starship from the television series Starship Enterprise (as well as the animated sequel The Enterprise). In the first pilot, the USS Enterprise is under the command of Captain Christopher Pike. In an earlier script version, the first commander of the Enterprise was named Robert T. April. Both Kirk predecessors are introduced in the Star Trek episodes: Pike first appears in the double episode Talos IV – Tabu, which used scenes from the first pilot. April first appears in the animated series “The Enterprise”. In the original series, the Enterprise is 289 meters long and has 23 decks. On deck 1 is the bridge and on deck 19 is the main engine room.
In a modified form, the ship also appears in the feature films Star Trek: The Motion Picture as well as Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and Star Trek III: In Search of Mr. Spock, as well as in an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. The model was drawn by Walter M. Jefferies (1921-2003), designer at Paramount, in 1960. Jefferies tried to make his design as futuristic as possible and set it apart from the rockets known at the time, while still emphasizing the enormous propulsive power of the spacecraft. Thus, the familiar design was created from a “flying saucer” with two giant drive nacelles. Jefferies also gave the ship the serial number 1701; according to his report, he chose it completely at random from easy-to-read digits. Jefferies explains the “NCC” code this way: in the 20th century, aircraft certified in the U.S. carry an “N” in their call sign, and “C” stands for a civilian aircraft. He added the second “C” because it looked better. On official plans, NCC stands for “Naval Construction Contract.” The original model, 3.30 meters long and weighing 90 kg, can be seen at the Smithsonian Institute’s National Air and Space Museum.